Figure 1: Control Panel Menu – Departments
Departments in PLANERGY are used for order tracking, budget control, expenditure reporting and user permissions control. If you are linking to a finance package these should match what you have set there, in some finance packages they may be named differently. A common name used in place of department is Cost Centre.
All orders created in the system must be assigned to a department. When an order is approved the full value of the order will be assigned to the department. The expenditure for a department will be tracked and can be reported on. You can also assign budgets to the departments to restrict expenditure. Once reached no further orders can be approved for the department until the budget renews or a user with authority to approve a budget change increases the budget.
Each user in the system will be assigned to a department. This is their home department and when assigning permissions if you select ‘Own Department’ the permission will relate to this department. The user can be assigned further permissions related to other departments as needed.
Each department must also be linked to a specific company. The company is the top tier of the structure in the system but controls and user permissions can be set at the department level.
From the main page of the Departments section you can view, edit or add new departments. Depending on your permissions you may not see all of these options.
On the Departments page you will see a list of the departments in the system and information about them. This list will show you the search results from a search made on this page. You can click on any row in the list to see more information about that department. The input fields above the departments list will allow you to search for a department.
Figure 2: Departments Page
- Add New DepartmentButton to add a single department. This will bring you to the Add Department page where you can enter details and set the budget for a single department.
- Edit DepartmentsButton to select multiple departments to edit and call the multi-edit popup screen. The departments selected using the checkboxes on the right hand side of the Department Search results will be selected for editing.
- Add DepartmentsButton to call the popup screen for adding multiple new departments.
- Clone DepartmentsButton to create new departments with the same details as a department selected using the checkboxes on the right hand side of the Department Search results.
- Number of ClonesSet the number of new departments to create with the same details as the department you have selected to clone.
- Department Search FieldsSearch options to narrow the results of the depart search or export. The search fields can be combined as needed to return the specific list of departments. Fill the search fields and click the Search button to update the search results below. Use the export button to export the data to a CSV format spreadsheet.
- Include ArchivedSwitch to set if archived departments are included in the search results. By default archived departments are excluded from the results and exports. Click the switch to include archived charge to accounts in the search results or export file.
- Export CSVButton to generate a CSV file containing the details of all departments listed in the Department Search results.
- SearchButton to run a search of the department list. After clicking this button the departments search results will be updated showing only results that match what is set in the search fields.
- Department Search ResultsThe list shows the departments that match the search parameters filled in the Department Search. By clicking a department in the list you can go to the Edit Department page for that department. The default search results show only active departments but you can see any archived or inactive departments by editing the fields in the search.